Sunday, October 3, 2010

Blog Post # 6


Networked Student by: Wendy Drexler

     How are we going to get the best professors if we stop using them and turn strictly to technology? I do think all these new technologies are amazing but should be kept to a minimum. They need to be kept to a minimum so we will still have teachers in our schools to be there for guidance and answers. This video was a good example of how we can use technology with our students and people around the world. I do not believe teachers will just stop teaching completely. I think the way they will be teaching will change. This was a very cute video with the cartoon and cut out animations. I enjoyed it!

A 7th Graders Personal Learning Environment (or PLN)


     She is way more advanced in her PLE then I am in my PLN.  She is very knowledgeable and organized with the technology she is using.  She is able to find websites on what she is learning and will blog about it.  That is exactly what I am doing and I have learned a lot of information.  She can take parts of information from several websites and save them for later use.  This is good because she does not have to save the whole article.  What else is great is that it saves the website of where the information came from.  She created a Glogster and emailed several scientists.  This allows her to connect to people around the World and get information from them.  She likes having the freedom and she believes it gives her the chance to be responsible.  I agree.  If it is being used correctly the student is being responsible and that should make them feel proud.

The Machine is Changing US by: Michael Welsh

     This was quite a long video but he did bring up several important points.  He used the quote "I find it hard, It's hard to find, oh well, whatever, nevermind."  He says this is one of the main things faculty complains about.  I have to admitt at times I have and do feel this way.  Maybe it is to hard and more easy to quit.  That is not a positive way to look at something.  I also agree with him that we are a generation raised by the self generation.  We learn from those before us and that is completely true in my opinion.  The last point I am going to bring up is about face to face conversation.  He says you become a different verison of yourself.  I know that is true because it happens to me everytime I am put in a new situation.  It is important for me to learn to not be ashamed or nervous of myself.  It will be extremely important I do no do this when I start my teaching career.  I need to be confindent and comfortable when teaching my students.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Amy, Great post! I agree with you about the networked student and how we will still need teachers but they will be teaching differently.
    When I saw the seventh grader's PLE I was also shocked and impressed by how organized she was and how many resources she had. And I think that the third video was very insightful about how our generation is and how it could be if we choose to change it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a bit confused about what you are trying to say in response to The Machine Is Changing Us. I will have a post on the class blog soon.

    Yes, the role of the teacher will change. Maybe the name has to change as well. And the methods of interaction will change. Not just through small classes but in larger classes. Not just face to face but in leaving comments on blogs or something similar. Not just in fixed times for classes but labs. No just independent work for students but participation in learning communities.

    So are you more motivated about your PLN than before reading about the 7th grader's PLE? Or did her experiences discourage you?

    ReplyDelete