Sunday, November 7, 2010

Blog Post # 10

An Open Letter To Educators By: Dan Brown

     After watching this video a girl named Morgan Bayda wrote about how she feels her University is cheating her out of her education.  She talks about how it is hard to stay awake during lectures and how she can barely focus.  She mentions how in class students only direct questions to the teacher and how we do not interact with other classmates.  Her computer class is the only class she is able to interact through various sites and other students.  Her class sounds similar to my EDM310 class.  I agree that learning needs to be expanded and changed to be more in tune with today's technology.
     In Dan Brown's video he is talking about how facts are free and we can find those facts on the internet.  We do not need to be in class listening to a teacher tell us facts to remember.  He asks the question, "What has education done to reinvent itself?" and his answer was "nothing."  How are we going to be ready for the future when we are not being prepared for it?  Dan dropped out of school because he said, "schooling was interfering with my education."  Although I would not drop out of school, I think what he is doing is a positive example of what people can do to help change our future and the way we learn.

Tom Johnson's Don't Let Them Take The Pencils Home:

pencilHis post showed how he does not just focus on a problem, he solves it.  So many people are just caught up in the problem and they never think to come up with a solution to the problem.  Things are not going to change unless we do something about it.  As a teacher it is our role to make sure students are learning.  If some are not understanding the material, instead of just giving them a bad grade we need to find a way for them to understand the material.  We are not really doing our job if we do not do this.  How can we call ourselves teachers if we are not really teaching?



"Two Question's That Can Change Your Life" By: Daniel Pink

This video was very inspirational and really made me think.  The music and the way it was delivered sent a very strong message.  I started to think about how I live my own life and what I need to do to make myself a better person.  He asked the question, "Was I better today then yesterday."  This is a great question and I think we need to ask this question to our self everyday.  It can only make us a stronger and better person.  So what is my sentence?  My sentence is, "I will always be compassionate and caring about my students and how they learn."

No comments:

Post a Comment